A Texas woman Germaine Mobley filed for $1 million in damages from a Chinese buffet after she allegedly suffered a terrifying bout of “fried rice synd
A Texas woman Germaine Mobley filed for $1 million in damages from a Chinese buffet after she allegedly suffered a terrifying bout of “fried rice syndrome.”
Germaine Mobley, 62, said went to Asian King Buffet in Waxahachie for a lunch in 2016 that left her gravely ill in an intensive care unit, the Dallas News reported.
Mobley claimed in the lawsuit that she was sickened by Bacillus cereus, also known as “fried rice syndrome,” a type of bacteria often found in foods kept at room temperature.
Mobley said she ordered fried rice at the restaurant and began to feel sick during the drive home.
“Everything tasted fine,” Mobley told news station WFMY.
Mobley, who had pre-existing health conditions, went to the hospital the following day when her health continued to deteriorate, according to the news station.
“I just started vomiting,” she told WFMY. “The next morning, I was having problems breathing, so my husband called an ambulance.”
She stayed in the ICU for eight days, where she was put on a ventilator, according to the Dallas News.
“’Fried rice syndrome’ sounds like a joke, but it’s very serious,” Mobley’s attorney Kathryn Knotts told the Dallas News.
Asian King Buffet’s owner has denied Mobley’s allegations that its food made her sick, WFMY reported.